Name:
Location: Florida

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Insulin Pump vs Lantus

We have experience with both Lantus and pumping There are pro's and con's to both but I believe pumping is much better and if your thinking about getting an insulin pump Animas is great they have wonderful customer support and their pumps have the carbsmart feature which let you input your amount of carbs consumed then add blood sugars then it figures how much insulin you need you just hit the button an go. Lantus on the other hand is different 1 shot covers for 24 hours, there is not suppose to be a peak but that is wrong, I would always have to do 3:00 am sugar checks with Lantus even though I was told I didn't need to because there is a slight peak. Even though you only get 1 shot in a 24 hour period with lantus you still have to work a formula for food coverage using Novolog or Humalog the formula we used is  Blood sugars minus 130 divided by 80 then 1 unit for every 20 grams of carbs, sometimes it was very difficult to get the right dose especially with a kid. While to me the pump is more accurate with the dosage right down to a 10th of a unit. The only problems we have had using the pump that we didn't have with Lantus is lows during activity (so now we remove the pump for any kind of physical activity) and problems with his site coming out which means he is getting no insulin and sometimes we have no idea this has happened until we do a sugar check and he is in the 500's.

 


I figure If I'm able to pick which insulin delivery he gets I would go with the pump.For those on a limited income maybe you don't have health insurance try a children's medical program to get help in covering the pump or any supplies for that matter.  They helped us with DS  pump.


 

2 Comments:

Blogger lindsay said...

I'm a diabetic and went on the insulin pump in 1999 when I was nine. Last year I made the decision to finally go off of the pump, and i love not having it. Lantus makes my schedule a lot easier and i dont have to worry about basals, disconnecting, etc. As a high schooler it also gets in the way and raises attention. With shots i feel free from the reminder that I'm diabetic. When I was on the pump I felt separated from the rest of my friends because I couldn't spend all day swimming, I had to change my cathader at birthday parties, and my pump would beep during class and interuppt if there was some malfunction. After going on Lantus I would never consider going back on the pump because Lantus gives me more freedom.

11:05 PM  
Blogger agelesskin said...

I have been a type 1 diabetic for 40 years. Going from a insulin pump to lantus. How do figure out the change over for your insulins.I am presently using 26 units of apidra in my pump.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home